The other failure was RUST! Luckily the chassis was replaced eleven years ago with a new galvanized one. The problem was the reinforcing structure under the rear axle that had succumbed to the dreaded 'tin worm'.
Before we attacked with the angle grinder and slitting disc we measured it and reproduced it using CAD and made a prototype.
The stiffener was full of rust and mud when removed from the last 48 years!
We chose to take the axle off the vehicle as the other stiffener on the nearside was looking grim also.
All ready for the heavy lift.
We fitted it using a pair of our Stainless Brake Pipe Shields B4L0057 and new nylock nuts to the u bolts.
All done and its passed its annual MOT test.
We have now got 25 of the large stiffener / renforcer's in stock.